So I have been in Australia almost a month now and I thought it might be fun to share a few of the things I have learned:
1. I brought far too much stuff!! I would be great to have a tiny case with just a few changes of clothes in right now. Most of what I packed is useful though and I will need it (eventually), its just that dragging it about from place to place is a real pain! I would just get a smaller case and chuck most of it out, but I don't really want to get rid of stuff that I like and I will just have to buy it back over time anyway.
2. Everything is far more expensive than I thought it would be, it would be easy to spend $100 a day without even really buying much
3. No matter how many times I see one, I am still confused by the drive through off-licence (why Australia, just why...?!)
4. The world is both bigger and smaller than you think it is
5. German backpackers are everywhere
6. You get blase really quickly about the number of things here that can kill you!
7. Great ideas about what to write in blog posts arrive in my brain about 4am and then have completely disappeared by the time I sit down to write a blog the next day
8. When travelling bring a book you do not like to be the first one you leave at a book exchange so you don't have to lose a book you actually like
9. The best way to have an adventure is to get as far away from other backpackers as possible
10. I can never ever adequately describe anything you are doing for people back home
11. When this far away, Europe itself feels like home and any talk of it makes me smile.
12. Muggy heat is the worst type of heat
13. Tim Tam sucks are just awesome (thank you Shauna)
13. I am oddly intrigued by what the stuff people sell to each other says about a place, for example what names appear on the named bookmarks and what types of food show up again and again in cafes and shops
14. The fact that the background birdsong and animal noises here are different to home was pone of the hardest things to get used to
15. A year is going to go very quickly
16. I wish I had someone to travel with
17. Travelling is awesome, it makes you look at the world in a whole new way
18. Things that matter, matter no matter how far away they are
19. Possums look even stranger close up
20. I had forgotten how much I like quadbikes